It is finally here! After Nintendo's scheduled maintenance early this morning, "Mario Kart 8" users can now download the Mercedes-Benz DLC and the update that will bring "Mario Kart 8" up to version 2.0
First up, the Mercedes-Benz pack is free DLC for the game. The DLC can be found on the eShop or via the new Shop inside the "Mario Kart 8" game (more on that in a minute). The DLC adds the following new karts to the game: Mercedes-Benz GLA, 300 SL Roadster and the Silver Arrow.
Now let's talk a bit about the update that brings "Mario Kart 8" up to version 2.0. This update is pretty big, clocking in at around 136MB. Here is what the update includes:
- In Game Shop - There is a new in-game shop that you can use to buy new DLC. The first DLC you can get for free, and that is the Mercedes-Benz DLC Pack. Future DLC packs will be offered here later. This includes the DLC pack that is coming out in November that will add Link, Cat Peach and Tanooki Mario to the game, as well as new courses. There will be another DLC pack in May of next year that will include Animal Crossing characters and Dry Bowser, as well as more tracks.
- Statistics - On the main start page, you can now gain access to your player statistics. This includes your win-loss record, favorite characters and courses, number of boosts, number of super boosts, coins collected, etc.
- Map Display - You can now display the map on your TV or on your GamePad. To enable this feature, simply press the (-) minus button on your controller of choice.
- Default Menu Option - Now, after a race, the default menu option that is selected is "Next Race" instead of "Watch Highlight Reel." Small fix, but very welcome.
- Kart Memory Function - Now, even when your Wii U is off, the game will remember your favorite vehicle combination.
- Race and Battle Ratings - The max race and battle ratings have been increase from 9,999 to 99,999.
- Online - The stability of online races and battles have been fixed, as well as a number of other online fixes.